"meridian mississippi" Meridian by doug48
Meridian Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 20 photos
meridian is located in east central mississippi. meridian is the county seat of lauderdale mississippi. the area around meridian was originally inhabited by the choctaw native american tribe. after the treaty of dancing rabbit creek in 1840 white settlers began to move into the area. three early settlers of the area were richard mc lemore, john t. ball, and lewis ragsdale. the town of meridian was built at the intersection of the moble-ohio railroad and the southern railway. meridian was incorporated in 1860. during the civil war meridian was a confederate manufacturing center and transportation hub.
the most significant historic event in meridian was the burning of the town by union general william t. sherman in february 1864. after the capture of vickburg and the burning of jackson mississippi sherman's army continued eastward towards meridian. the confederates were commanded by general leonidas polk and he consoladated a number of commands in and around morton mississippi in preparation for the defence of meridian. sherman ordered gunboats into mobile bay and to the yazoo river in order to confuse polk. polk was convinced that sherman was headed for mobile and he evacuated meridian and marched to demopolis alabama. sherman's army reached meridain on february 14 th 1864. since meridian was undefended sherman burned the town. after the destruction of meridian sherman reported that "meridian with it's depots, storehouses, arsenal, hospitals, offices, hotels, and cantonments no longer exists"
after the end of radical recounstruction in the decade following the civil war the economy of meridian boomed. between 1880 and 1910 this period was known as the "golden age" of meridian. meridian regained it's importance as a transportation hub and new businness moved into the area. from the turn of the 20 th century until 1930 many of the historic buildings in downtown meridian were built. meridian continued to prosper through world war II and up to the 1950's. in the 1950's automobile and truck transportation replaced railroads and this trend greatly hurt the economy of meridian. many people and businesses left the city. in the 1930's meridian was the largest city in mississippi. today it is mississippi's third largest city. of interest to the tourist is meridian's "golden age" architecture downtown and the jimmy rodgers museum.
the current meridian u. s. courthouse and post office was built in 1933. the courthouse was designed by architect james... more travel advice
the threefoot building was built by abraham threefoot and sons in 1929. this art deco building is 16 stories tall and is... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Meridian Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Meridian Page"
- "meridian mississippi"
- "Singing Breakman city"
- "Pierre_Rouss's new Meridian Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meridian
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (304)
Have you been to Meridian?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meridian
Photos in MeridianSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues