"jackson mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Jackson by doug48
Jackson Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 261 photos
jackson is the capital of the state of mississippi and is named after general andrew jackson. the first settler in the jackson area was the french trader louis le fleur. in 1821 the mississippi general assembly moved the capital of mississippi from natchez to le fluer's bluff in central mississippi. central mississippi was the home of the choctaw indian nation until 1830. the choctaws signed the treaty of dancing rabbit creek with the united states in 1830 and were removed to oklahoma. in 1840 a railroad was built from jackson to vickburg which expanded the economy of the town. during the civil war jackson was an important manufacturing center for the confederacy. after the fall of the confederacy in 1865 the economy of jackson went into decline. as a result of the radical reconstruction policies after the war the mississippi legislature passed the mississippi constitution of 1890. this law disfranchised african americans and poor whites by imposing poll taxes, strict residency requirements, and literacy tests. these laws were the basis of the "jim crow" era in the south in the first half of the 20 th century. during WWII jackson was the headquarters of the royal netherlands military flying school that taught dutch flyers in prepartion for the d-day invasion of europe. in the 1960's jackson was the site of several civil rights protests. in may 1961 three hundred "freedom riders" were arrested in jackson and in june 1963 the civil rights activist medgar evers was murdered in jackson. mississippi african americans were finally given full voting rights as a result of the 1964 civil rights act. jackson's first african american mayor was elected in 1997.
jackson has a number of attractions for the tourist in the downtown government district. downtown jackson has an aquarium, and a number of historic buildings. for those interested in history and southern culture downtown jackson is worth a visit when in central mississippi.
jackson was an important manufacturing center for the confederacy during the civil war. in may 1863 union general william t. sherman led a raid on jackson from vicksburg which was called the first battle of jackson. sherman's forces burned and looted a number of jackson's manufacturing facilities. after the first battle of jackson the confederates regrouped under the command of general john c. breckinridge. in july 1863 he led a confederate force to try to liberate the beseiged town of vickburg. by the time that breckinridge arrived in vicksburg the town had already surrendered to the union and breckinridge returned to jackson. breckinridge built fortifications around the town in preparation of a union attack. general william t. sherman returned to jackson and laid seige to the town for seven days. the confederates finally fled jackson and sherman burned the town. after the fall of jackson the town was nicknamed "chimneyville" because most of jackson's homes were burnt to the ground and all that was left were chimneys. after the seige it took the town of jackson decades to recover from that attack.
the natchez trace is a 444 mile long scenic highway that runs through mississippi, alabama, and tennessee. the trace was... more travel advice
the original first baptist church was built in 1843 using slave labor. this building was home to jackson's baptist... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Jackson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capitol of Mississippi Under Reconstruction"
- "jackson mississippi"
- "The Land of Many Waffle-House's"
- "Southern Gentility"
- "Jackson, Mississippi - Still a Sight for Sore Eyes"
- "Jackson - Trip #1"
- "larsy's Jackson Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jackson
- Hotels in Jackson
- Transportation in Jackson
- Nightlife in Jackson
- Restaurants in Jackson
- Shopping in Jackson
- Warnings and Dangers in Jackson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jackson
- 20 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Jackson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jackson
Photos in JacksonSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues