"sharpsburg, maryland" Sharpsburg by doug48
Sharpsburg Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 75 photos
sharpsburg is a small town near the potomac river in washington county maryland. joseph chapline was the first european to settle in the sharpsburg area around 1740. after the end of the french and indian war in 1763 chapline founded the town and named it after horatio sharpe, the governor of the province of maryland, sharpsburg became a manufacturing town after the construction of the C & O canal in 1836. sharpsburg is most famous for being the site of the battle of antietam during the civil war. of interest to the tourist is sharpburg's proximity to the antietam national battlefield and the C & O canal national historic park. downtown sharpsburg is listed on the national register of historic places.
pictured is lock 38 of the chesapeake and ohio canal. the C & O canal runs 185 miles along the potomac river from the... more travel advice
the original sharpsburg depot was built by the shenandoah valley railroad in 1883. the original depot burned down in... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Sharpsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beachdave's new Sharpsburg Page"
- "sharpsburg, maryland"
- "Sharpsburg Caught in the middle of War"
- "General Lee's First Defeat"
- "SHARPSBURG - QUIET BEFORE THE STORM"
- "Sharpsburg & the Battle of Antietam"
- "Antietam National Battlefield"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sharpsburg
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Sharpsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharpsburg
Photos in SharpsburgSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Sharpsburg hotel reviews
- Jacob Rohrbach Inn
- 232 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013