"new orleans louisiana" Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans by doug48
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,268 reviews and 7,473 photos
la nouvelle orleans was founded in 1718 by jean baptiste le moyne. new orleans was named after phillippe II the duke of orleans. the french colony of louisiana was ceded to spain in the treaty of paris in 1763. during the spanish period the spainards built many of the historic buildings in the french quarter. louisiana was returned to the french in 1801 and in 1803 napoleon bonaparte sold the french territories to the united states. after the haitian revolution of 1804 9,000 haitain refugees immigrated to new orleans. this immigration was the basis of the louisiana creole culture which still exists today. during the war of 1812 new orleans was invaded by the british in 1815. general andrew jackson with the aid of the pirate jean lafitte won a decisive victory over the british in the battle of new orleans. between 1815 and 1862 new orleans was a major u.s. port city and was the largest slave market in the south. in 1840 new orleans was the third largest city in the united states. during the civil war new orleans was captured by union admiral david faragut and remained in union hands until the end of the war. the economy of new orleans declined during the radical reconstruction era after the civil war and did not recover until the turn of the 20 th century. in modern times new orleans has prospered due the petrochemical industry and tourism. new orleans was devasted by hurricane katrina in 2005 and many low laying areas of the city have yet to recover.
new orleans is one of the most unique cities in the united states. louisiana's cajun, creole and african american cultures have had a significant impact on the architecture, art, and music of new orleans. of interest to the tourist is the french quarter's historic buildings and diverse architectural styles. new orleans is famous for it's collection of excellent restaurants and it's cajun and creole cuisine. new orleans is world famous as the birth place of dixieland jazz and bourbon street is one of america's most unique party destinations. new orleans is a very interesting and historic city to visit in the southern united states.
the lower ninth ward is an area of new orleans that was devastated by hurricane katrina in 2005. this low income... more travel advice
bourbon street in the french quarter is one of the most popular attractions in new orleans and a visit to new orleans... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 104 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (304)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
Photos in New OrleansSee All Photos (159)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues