"chalmette louisiana" Chalmette by doug48
Chalmette Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 71 photos
chalmette national battlefield park is the site of the major battle of new orleans during the war of 1812. on december 24 th 1814 the treaty of ghent was signed by the americans and the british which ended the war of 1812. because of slow comunications at the time the word of the treaty was not received by the british forces in america until february 1915. on january 8 th 1815 the forces of sir alexander cochrane met the forces of andrew jackson at chalmette plantation on the bank of the mississippi river five miles southeast of the city of new orleans. the day long battle was a decisive amerian victory and was considered the most important american land victory of the war of 1812. general andrew jackson became a national hero in his defeat of the british and later was to be elected president of the united states.
for those interested in early american history this is a must see site when in the new orleans area. due to hurricane katrina in 2005 the park is still under repair. a new visitor center is under construction and small parts of the park are still closed to the public. there is a parking area at the entrance to the park and admission is free.
the creole queen river boat makes daily trips from downtown new orleans to the chalmette battlefield. the river boat... more travel advice
the malus-beaugard house was built on the site of the chalmette plantation in 1833. the widow malus moved in the house... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Chalmette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "chalmette louisiana"
- "The Battle of Chalmette"
- "Basaic Chalmette Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chalmette
- Transportation in Chalmette
- Shopping in Chalmette
- Warnings and Dangers in Chalmette
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chalmette
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Chalmette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chalmette
Photos in ChalmetteSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues