"baton rouge louisiana" Top 5 Page for this destination Baton Rouge by doug48
Baton Rouge Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 568 photos
baton rouge located on the mississippi river in central louisiana. baton rouge was inhabited by native americans dating back to 8000 BC. in 1699 sieur d'iberville established a settlement on lstroump bluff on the mississippi river. on the bluff d'iberville saw a cypress pole festooned with bloody animals and fish and called the area baton rouge (red stick). this bloody pole signified the boundary of the houma and bayou goula native american tribes. the area around baton rouge was ruled by the french, the british, and the spanish in parts of 18 th and early 19 th centuries. the town of baton rouge was incorporated in 1817 and was made the louisiana state capital in 1849. during the civil war baton rouge was occupied by the union and in 1862 the capital was moved to new orleans. the capital remained in new orleans during the radical reconstuction era and was returned to baton rouge in 1882. in the 20 th century baton rouge became a petrochemical center and a major mississippi port city.
baton rouge is a very interesting place to visit in louisiana. downtown baton rouge has many historic buildings, a casino, and a number of excellent museums. on the river road between baton rouge and new orleans there are scores of antebellum plantations many of which are open to the public. for those interested in southern history and culture baton rouge's rural life museum is a very worth while stop. for college sports fans baton rouge is home to louisiana state university.
the pete maravich assembly center is home to LSU's basketball program. the assembly center was built in 1972 and was... more travel advice
the baton rouge national cemetery was established in 1867 near the site of the battle of baton rouge. union civil war... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Baton Rouge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "baton rouge louisiana"
- "Land of Oil and Red Tape"
- "Huey Long's Capitol"
- "A Special town with Culture"
- "Baton Rouge"
- "Tiger Town!"
- "Baton Rouge, Home of the Tigers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baton Rouge
- Hotels in Baton Rouge
- Transportation in Baton Rouge
- Nightlife in Baton Rouge
- Restaurants in Baton Rouge
- Shopping in Baton Rouge
- Warnings and Dangers in Baton Rouge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baton Rouge
- 31 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Baton Rouge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baton Rouge
Photos in Baton RougeSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues