"valdosta georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Valdosta by doug48
Valdosta Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 79 photos
valdosta was incorporated in 1860 and is the county seat of lowndes county georgia. valdosta was named after governor george troop's estate Val d' osta. valdosta's main crop was long staple cotton until a boll weevil infestation in 1905. after that valdosta's farmers turned to tobacco, peanuts, and forestry. one of valdosta's most memorial events was in 1902 when an elephant named gypsy escaped from a traveling circus and rampaged through the town for several hours before it was killed. valdosta is home to valdosta state university. valdosta was a setting for the novel and movie "fried green tomatoes". one of valdosta's most famous residents was john henry "doc" holliday of O.K. corral fame.
most people pass by valdosta on I-75 on their way to and from florida. valdosta has a nice historic district and is worth a short detour from I-75 to visit this interesting southern town.
one of valdosta's most famous residents was the gambler, gunfighter, and dentist john henry "doc" holliday. holliday was born in griffin ga in 1851 and moved to valdosta in 1866. holliday attended the valdosta institute and moved to philadelphia to earn a degree in dental surgery. holliday contracted tuberculosis and for health reasons moved to the southwestern u.s. in 1873 he opened a dental office in dallas texas. holliday began gambling and found that it was a more profitable than the practice of dentistry. later he moved to dodge city kansas where he met wyatt earp. they became good friends and they both moved on to tombstone arizona. in tombstone they were involved in the legendary gun fight at the O.K. corral. doc holliday was one of the most colorful figures in the frontier southwest.
a good book about this interesting character is "doc hoilday", matt braun. pub: st. martins press.
the old south bar-be-que is a very good barbecue restaurant just west of downtown valdosta. pork, chicken, beef barbecue... more travel advice
located about 25 miles north of valdosta on CR 125 is nashville georgia. nashville is the county seat of berrien county.... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Valdosta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town of many antebellum homes"
- "Valdosta, GA"
- "valdosta georgia"
- "Good Place to Stop on I-75"
- "ga-slim's new Valdosta page"
- "The Azalea City"
- "Valdosta, Georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valdosta
- Hotels in Valdosta
- Nightlife in Valdosta
- Restaurants in Valdosta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valdosta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valdosta
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Valdosta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valdosta
Photos in ValdostaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues