"stone mountain georgia" Stone Mountain by doug48
Stone Mountain Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 47 photos
stone mountain georgia is best known for stone mountain state park and the confederate bas-relief carved on the west side of the mountain. in 1915 gutzon borglum was hired to sculpt a confederate memorial with the likenesses of jefferson davis, robert e. lee, and stonewall jackson. the project began in 1923 but was discontinued in 1925. augusta lukeman blasted away the original carving and began a new one but funds for the project ran out in 1929. the carving became dormant until 1964. kirtland hancock revived the project in 1964 and the carving was finally finished by roy faulkner in 1972. part of stone mountain's history is tied to the murder of mary phagin. a jewish busnessman named leo frank was suspected of murdering and raping phagin and was tried and convicted. he was sentenced to death but later his sentence was reduced to life imprisonment. most historians today believe that frank was not guilty of the crime. after the reduction of his sentence a mob broke into the jail and lynched frank. to celebrate the event the klu klux klansman william simmons burned a huge cross on the top of stone mountain which could be seen all over atlanta area. the leo frank incident was the subject of the 1988 movie "the murder of mary phagan" which brought national attention to this dark page in georgia history.
today stone mountain state park is a popular tourist destination near the city of atlanta. stone mountain state park has a hotel and conference center, a historic village, a beautiful lake, and an excellent golf course. a very nice place to visit in the atlanta area.
the village corner german restaurant is a nice place to eat in stone mountain village. they offer german and american... more travel advice
located off of one exit west of the stone mountian park exit on US 78 is the tiny village of stone mountain. of interest... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Stone Mountain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Stone Mountain GA."
- "stone mountain georgia"
- "A Quick Trip to Stone Mountain"
- "lorigirl's new Stone Mountain Page"
- "Mount Granite"
- "mcharlton's new Stone Mountain Page"
- "LittleCanoe's Stone Mountain Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stone Mountain
- Hotels in Stone Mountain
- Restaurants in Stone Mountain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stone Mountain
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Stone Mountain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stone Mountain
Photos in Stone MountainSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Stone Mountain hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn & Suites at Stone Mountain
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Evergreen Marriott Conference Resort
- 364 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Days Inn Stone Mountain
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Stone Mountain Family Campground
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Marriott Stone Mountain Inn
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013