"savannah, georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah by doug48
Savannah Travel Guide: 883 reviews and 1,746 photos
general james oglethorpe and his trustees founded the city of savannah in 1733 with the concept of a new world utopia. it was to be an agricultural colony that would provide england with imports such as silk and wine. this "utopia" did not materialize and savannah was still a struggling community well after the revoluntary war. however, oglethorpe's briliant urban design with it's broad avenues and beautiful squares are appreciated to this day. in the early 19 the century savannah developed into a major port city for the export of cotton. eli whitney perfected the cotton gin in 1793 on a savannah river plantation. this invention revoluntionized the cotton business.
savannah's cotton business created great wealth for the city up to the outbreak of the civil war. this wealth was responsible for the many of savannah's beautiful public buildings and fine homes. savannah surrendered to general william t. sherman after his infamous march through georgia in 1864. however, sherman spared the city of destruction and stayed briefly at the green-meldrum mansion.
the most notable feature of savannh is it's beautiful oak trees draped with spanish moss which line the city's streets and squares. savannah is a beautiful place to visit for those interested in american history, and southern culture.
old fort jackson was built in 1808 on the site of the revolutionary war era mud fort. old fort jackson was activated... more travel advice
fort mcallister state park is located about 10 miles southwest of savannah near richmond hill georgia. fort mcallister... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Savannah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sultry, Mysterious Savannah"
- "An Exotic, Steamy Woman Heats Up Georgia!"
- "savannah, georgia"
- "SAVANNAH SCENE"
- "Don't Miss Savannah"
- "The one hundred garden city"
- "Charming Savannah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Savannah
- Hotels in Savannah
- Transportation in Savannah
- Nightlife in Savannah
- Restaurants in Savannah
- Shopping in Savannah
- Warnings and Dangers in Savannah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Savannah
- 30 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (303)
Have you been to Savannah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Savannah
Photos in SavannahSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues