"saint marys georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Marys by doug48
Saint Marys Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 132 photos
saint marys is the southeastern most town in georgia. saint marys is located about 5 miles east of I-95 exit 3 on SR40. the area around saint marys was originally inhabited by the timucuan native american tribe around 4000 years ago. the french explorer jean ribault visited the area in 1562 and named the river he found the river may. later the name of the river was changed to saint marys. the spanish controlled the area from 1566 to 1686. in 1866 british general james oglethorpe drove the spanish out of the georgia colony. in modern times saint marys became a fishing village. today the economy of the area is based on tourism and the nearby kings bay submarine base. of interest to the tourist is cumberland island national seashore and saint marys' historic downtown. saint marys is a worth while side trip off of I-95 in southeast georgia.
the first presbyterian church was built in 1808. the foundation of the church is made from tabby, a south georgia local... more travel advice
orange hall is a beautiful antebellum greek rivival home located on osborne street in downtown saint marys. the original... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Saint Marys Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jumping off place for Cumberland Island"
- "A Small but Proud Town"
- "Doorway to Cumberland Island"
- "Saint Mary's, Georgia"
- "saint marys georgia"
- "Georgia the Peach State"
- "Kingsland & St. Marys, Georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Marys
- Hotels in Saint Marys
- Transportation in Saint Marys
- Nightlife in Saint Marys
- Restaurants in Saint Marys
- Shopping in Saint Marys
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Marys
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Saint Marys?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Marys
Photos in Saint MarysSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues