"rome georgia" Rome by doug48
Rome Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 34 photos
rome is a city in northwest georgia located on US 27. rome is the county seat of floyd county georgia. the area around rome was originally inhabited by the coosa mound building culture. with the arrival of spanish explorers the coosa died out due to european disease. the coosa were replaced by the creeks and the creeks were later replaced by the cherokees. the cherokee chiefs major ridge and john ross lived in the rome area. in 1838 the cherokees in the rome area were removed to oklahoma. prior to the civil war rome was a transportation and cotton market town. during the civil war rome set up arms and textile manufacturing facilities for the confederate war effort. in april 1863 union colonel abel streight attempted a raid on rome from present day cedar bluff alabama. general nathan bedford forrest defeated streight a couple of miles east of cedar bluff. as a result of this raid confederate general braxton bragg ordered the construction of a string of forts around rome for the defence of the city. in may 1864 union general jefferson c. davis attacked and captured rome. after the civil war rome was spared much of the hardship of radical reconstuction and rome became a prosperous textile and transportation town. today rome's economy is based on transportation, textiles, healthcare, and high technology.
of interest to the the tourist is rome's beautiful downtown historic district, post civil war architecture, and a number of historic sites. rome is a very interesting town to visit in northwest georgia.
rome's confederate civil war memorial is located near the confederate section of myrtle hill cemetery. this memorial is... more travel advice
the old floyd county courthouse was built in 1892 in the romanesque revival style. the courthouse was designed by... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "rome georgia"
- "My Baptism"
- "Georgia's Rome"
- "I am at home in Rome!"
- "Jimmy7000's new Rome Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Hawthorn Suites Ltd. Rome
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013