"macon georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Macon by doug48
Macon Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 77 photos
macon is the county seat of bibb county georgia. the city of macon is on the site of fort benjamin hawkins. the construction of fort hawkins was ordered by thomas jefferson in 1806 in order to protect the area from the creek indians. after the defeat of the creeks the settlement of macon was called new town. later the settlement was named after north carolina statesman nathaniel macon. during the civil was macon was the official arsenal of the confederacy. fortunately for the beautiful antebellum architecture of macon general w.t. sherman bypassed macon on his march through georgia. cotton agriculture has been macon's main source of income before and after the civil war. in modern times macon's economy is based on transportation and nearby warner robbins air force base. macon is also home to mercer university.
the city of macon has numerous attractions for the tourist. downtown macon has scores of beautiful historic homes and public buildings. for those interested in architecture macon rivals savannah for it's interesting public buildings. macon hosts several museums and is home to the ocmulgee national monument. macon also has a number of good restaurants and bars downtown. when traveling through georgia on I-75 macon is a very worth while place to visit.
the jarrell plantation historic site is located about 15 miles north of macon on US 23. this plantation was established... more travel advice
the georgia sports hall of fame honors georgia's famous athletes. the hall of fame has exhibits about georgia football,... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Macon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "macon georgia"
- "The home of Rock icon Little Richard, et al."
- "Spring in Macon is Beautiful"
- "SOME EXTREME HIGH POINTS AND LOW ONES"
- "Central Georgia's Showpiece"
- "Help!! I can't believe I live here!!"
- "Macon - Center of Georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macon
- Hotels in Macon
- Transportation in Macon
- Nightlife in Macon
- Restaurants in Macon
- Shopping in Macon
- Warnings and Dangers in Macon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Macon
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Macon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macon
Photos in MaconSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Macon hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn MACON WEST (I-475)
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- Riverview Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2009
- Comfort Suites Macon
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- The Venetian Mansion Inn
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2010
- Residence Inn Macon
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Red Roof Macon
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013