"kennesaw georgia" Kennesaw by doug48
Kennesaw Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 97 photos
kennesaw is located in cobb county near I-75 on the northwest edge of the atlanta urban sprawl. originally called big shanty the town was renamed kennesaw after near by kennesaw mountain. kennesaw is best known as the site of the hijacking of the confederate steam engine the "general" in 1862. on april 12 th 1862 james andrews and a group of union solders hijacked the "general" at big shanty with the intention of damaging the western & atlantic railway and disrupting confederate lines of communication between atlanta and chattanooga. confederate engineer william fuller witnessed the theft and pursued the "general" on foot and later by handcar. at etowah the confederate engine "yonah" joined the chase as far as kingston. at kingston the confederate steam engine "william r. smith" chased the "general" to adairsville. at adairsville depot a south bound train the "texas" spotted the "general" and chased the engine in reverse. the general passed through resaca and dalton and finally ran out of fuel just north of ringgold. the great locomotive chase is one of the most interesting stories of the civil war.
of interest to tourists visiting kennesaw is the southern museum of civil war locomotive history and near by kennesaw mountain. for those interested in civil war history kennesaw is a very worth while side trip off of I-75 north of atlanta.
the kennesaw whistle stop cafe is located on main street in downtown kennesaw. the whistle stop is a great place for... more travel advice
kennesaw has a small main street shopping area downtown. of interest to the tourist is wild man's confederate relic... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Kennesaw Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mountain is King"
- "Kennesaw and Marietta"
- "kennesaw georgia"
- "A page of history"
- "KENNESAW MOUNTAIN"
- "djcody's new Kennesaw page"
- "Farseek - Kennesaw"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kennesaw
- Hotels in Kennesaw
- Restaurants in Kennesaw
- Shopping in Kennesaw
- Warnings and Dangers in Kennesaw
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kennesaw
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Kennesaw?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kennesaw
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues