"helen, georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Helen by doug48
Helen Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 343 photos
the area around helen georgia has an interesting history. the helen area was first inhabited by native americans about 2500 BC. it was not until 800 AD that the area had a significant indian population. spanish gold miners inhabited the area between 1560 and 1670. in 1733 georgia was founded as a british colony and the remaining spanish settlers were expelled from the area. after the american revolution white settlers began to push into the cherokee areas of north georgia in significant numbers. around 1812 james wyly built the unicoi turnpike which aided transportation into the helen area. between 1819 and 1838 the helen area experienced a gold rush. by 1849 most of the gold in the area was depleted and the miners moved to california. one of the most famous landmarks of the helen area is the gazebo on the indian mound. it was built by captain j.h. nichols in 1890. after the turn of the 20 th century the major industry in the helen area was lumber. this was the main occupation of the area until the 1960's.
in the 1970's three helen residents, charlie maloof, pete hodkinson and john kollack got together to try to bring more tourists into the area. kollack who was stationed in bavaria after WWII came up with the idea of converting the town into a replica alpine village. this concept turned this sleepy north georgia village into the major tourist attraction that it is today. after atlanta and savannah helen is the most visited town in georgia. helen is now famous for it's oktoberfest which runs from mid september through october. also helen is famous for it's alpine lights christmas celebration. the chattahoochee river runs through the town of helen which offers recreational opportunites such as fishing, kayaking, tubing and canoeing. nearby are unicoi and vogal state parks which have excellent hiking trails. when in the northeast section of georgia helen is a very worthwhile place to visit.
to get to helen take I-85 east of atlanta then 123 to clarkesville ga. from clarkesville take hwy 17 west to helen. a couple of good information web sites to visit are, http://ngeorgia.com/travel/helen/ and www. helen.org
in june of each year helen hosts the helen to the atlantic hot air balloon race and festival. the balloon race begins in... more travel advice
helen hosts it's annual oktoberfest celebration from mid september to the end of october each year. thousands of... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Helen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alpine Theme Far from Europe"
- "helen, georgia"
- "A town reinvents itself"
- "Willkommen to Helen"
- "Helen Georgia"
- "Georgia Alpine Village"
- "Welcome to Helen, GA or Alpine Helen as some say."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helen
- Hotels in Helen
- Transportation in Helen
- Nightlife in Helen
- Restaurants in Helen
- Shopping in Helen
- Warnings and Dangers in Helen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helen
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Helen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helen
Photos in HelenSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues