"decatur georgia" Decatur by doug48
Decatur Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 176 photos
decatur is the county seat of dekalb county georgia. located about 10 miles east of downtown atlanta. decatur is surrounded by the atlanta urban sprawl. decatur was founded in 1823 and is named after stephen decatur. in the 1830's decatur was selected to be the southern terminus of the western and atlantic railroad. the citizens of decatur opposed the plan and the rail road was moved to what is today downtown atlanta. during the 1960's and 1970's decatur experienced "white flight" to distant suburbs and the town when into a state of decline. in the last twenty years decatur has experienced a period of urban gentrification and today decatur is a diverse and progressive city. decatur has much to offer the tourist. in the town center are a number of civil war historic sites, upscale shops and restaurants, and a vibrant nightlife. decatur is a very nice part of the metro atlanta area.
decatur was involved in the battle of atlanta during the civil war. on july 22nd 1864 confederate general joseph wheeler's cavalry was sent to decatur to attack union general james mc phearson's supply train at decatur's courthouse square. the supply train was forced out of town by wheeler's troops. later union general kenner garrard recaptured decatur and cut off confederate communication lines between atlanta and augusta. decatur was also the starting point for union general george stoneman's raid on the town of macon. stoneman failed to take macon and surrendered to the confederates at sunshine church northeast of macon. stoneman was the highest ranking union officer to be captured in the civil war.
pictured is blue moon designs which is one of a number of art galleries and upscale stores in downtown decatur. the area... more travel advice
pictured is the dekalb county confederate memorial. this memorial is an obelisk with a draped flag which is a common... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Decatur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Decatur, Georgia"
- "East Atlanta Suburb"
- "Dinner with Rex, Sacra and Chris"
- "decatur georgia"
- "Hanging Out With Ellis Paul at Eddie's Attic"
- "A Nice Place to Walk"
- "A quaint city on the East side of Atlanta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Decatur
- Transportation in Decatur
- Nightlife in Decatur
- Restaurants in Decatur
- Shopping in Decatur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Decatur
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (302)
Have you been to Decatur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Decatur
Photos in DecaturSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues