"atlanta georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta by doug48
Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,494 reviews and 2,678 photos
atlanta is the capital of the state of georgia and the state's largest city. atlanta was originally called standing peachtree by native americans. in 1822 cherokee and creek native american tribes sold the area around present day atlanta to white settlers. in 1837 the western-atlantic railroad was built and atlanta was it's southern terminus. this railroad greatly increased the population of the atlanta area. at the time the town was called atlantica-pacifica and later was shortened to atlanta. during the civil war atlanta was a major confederate transportation and supply hub. in 1864 union general w.t. sherman laid a four month seige to the city of atlanta. in september 1864 general john hood CSA evacuated atlanta and sherman burned the city. union troops occupied atlanta from 1867 to 1888 in order to enforce radical reconstruction of the city. because of the legacy of radical reconstruction the city had poor race relations well into the 1960's. the 1964 civil rights act gave african americans more rights and political power. in 1974 maynard jackson was elected atlanta's first african american mayor. today with a population of over 50% black the city has had an african american mayor ever since. today atlanta is georgia's largest city and is an important southeastern transportation hub. also atlanta is home to the coca cola corporation which has been an important part of the atlanta economy since the early 20th century.
of interest to the tourist is atlanta's numerous historic attractions, several excellent museums, a world class aquarium, and the buckhead entertainment and shopping area. for those interested in civil war history the greater atlanta area has numerous civil war battle sites and the atlanta cyclorama. also atlanta has much to offer the sports fan. atlanta is home to the georgia dome and turner field who host major league football and baseball franchises.
- Pros:history, sports, excellent hotels and restaurants
- Cons:traffic congestion and crime
relish is a very nice cafe style restaurant located in the roswell historic district. they offer contemporary southern... more travel advice
roswell is an affluent suburb of atlanta located on the northern edge of the atlanta urban sprawl. roswell has a... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Atlanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Monuments"
- "Big city livin in the South"
- "Atlanta & Coca Cola"
- "atlanta georgia"
- "Atlanta - full of surprises"
- "Capital of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atlanta
- Hotels in Atlanta
- Transportation in Atlanta
- Nightlife in Atlanta
- Restaurants in Atlanta
- Shopping in Atlanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Atlanta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atlanta
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Atlanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atlanta
Photos in AtlantaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues