"albany georgia" Albany by doug48
Albany Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 54 photos
albany is a medium sized city located in southwest georgia. the area around albany was originally called thronateeska by the creek native american tribe. thronateeska means flint in creek and the creeks found flint in the river to make arrowheads. in 1836 the connecticut busnessman nelson tift established a settlement on the flint river and named the town albany after albany new york. prior to the civil war the area around albany had numerous cotton plantations and the flint river was used to transport cotton to markets. today the economy of albany is based on transportation, manufacturing, and the nearby marine logistics base. of interest to the tourist is the beautiful flint river, the downtown historic district and nearby radium springs.
nelson tift (1810-1891) and his nephew henry tift were instrumental in the development of south cental georgia before and after the civil war. nelson tift developed albany as a manufacturing center and a cotton market town. tift was a captain in the confederate navy during the civil war. after the civil war tift was elected to the u.s. house of representatives. tift county georgia is named after nelson tift. nelson tift's nephew henry tift founded the town of tifton georgia.
a very interesting side trip from albany is providence canyon state park. providence canyon is nicknamed georgia's... more travel advice
the famous soul and blues singer ray charles was born in albany in 1930. at riverfront park there is a statue of charles... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Albany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City in Southwest Georgia"
- "albany georgia"
- "Albany...The Good Life City"
- "Welcome to Albany, GA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albany
- Hotels in Albany
- Transportation in Albany
- Nightlife in Albany
- Restaurants in Albany
- Warnings and Dangers in Albany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albany
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Albany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albany
Photos in AlbanySee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Albany hotel reviews
- Quality Inn Merry Acres
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Wingate Inn Albany Mall (2735 Dawson Road )
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Regency Inn Albany
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Sleep Inn Albany
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Days Inn Albany Georgia
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Holiday Inn Albany Mall-Dawson Road
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hilton Garden Inn Albany
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013