"tampa florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa by doug48
Tampa Travel Guide: 1,041 reviews and 2,376 photos
the city of tampa is located at the intersection of I-4 and I-75 in southwest florida. tampa is the county seat of hillsborough county florida. the tampa bay area was originally inhabited by the calusa native american tribe. the first european to visit tampa was hernando de sota in 1520. with the arrival of europeans the native calusa's disapeared due to disease and tampa was uninhibited until the mid 1700's. during the second seminole war fort brooke was constructed on tampa bay. in 1849 the village of tampa was incorporated. florida was part of the confederacy during the civil war and two civil war battles were fought in tampa in 1862 and 1863. the tampa bay area economy suffered during the period of radical reconstruction following the end of the civil and did not rebound until the 1880's. phosphate was discovered in the tampa bay area in 1883 which was a huge boost to the local economy. also in the 1880's the arrival of henry plant's railroad brought new settlers to the area. in 1885 vincente martinez ybor moved his cigar factory from key west to tampa. by 1929 tampa's cigar industry was producing over 500 million cigars a year. in the 20th century the tampa bay area grew into a major port and industrial city. today the metropolitan tampa bay area has a population of over 3 million.
there are a number of attractions for the tourist in the tampa bay area. tampa has several good museums and the world class florida aquarium. in january of each year tampa hosts the gasparilla pirate festival. for the sports fan tampa is home to the NFL tampa bay buccaneers professional football team and the NHL tampa bay lighting professional hockey team. tampa is also home to the new york yankees spring training and the outback college football bowl game. tampa is home to the busch gardens theme park and the seminole gambling casino. for those interested in history and architecture the ybor city and hyde park neighborhoods are worth visiting.
the fort foster historic site is located across US 301 from hillsborough river state park. originally fort alabama was... more travel advice
the federal government recently raised the tax on a pack of cigarettes to $1 to fund the SCHIP social wefare program.... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Tampa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tampa Florida"
- "Yup, this is Tampa."
- "tampa florida"
- "Pine covered sand flats and a one-track railroad"
- "Gasperella Through the Years"
- "Holiday in the Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tampa
- Hotels in Tampa
- Transportation in Tampa
- Nightlife in Tampa
- Restaurants in Tampa
- Shopping in Tampa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tampa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tampa
- 31 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Tampa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tampa
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues