"sanibel island florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanibel Island by doug48
Sanibel Island Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 382 photos
sanibel and captiva island are barrier islands off the coast of fort myers florida. sanibel island had a native-american population dating back 2500 years ago. the calusa native-american tribe had settlements on sanibel island but they left the area with the arrival of spanish explorers. the pirates jose gaspar (gasparilla) and black caesar were thought to have had bases on sanibel and captiva. the original name of sanibel was puerto de s. nivel as found on spanish maps of the 18th century. the first modern settlement of sanibel island was in 1832 when the island was owned by the florida peninsular land company. this small settlement was abanded in 1849. the island was repopulated in 1862 but never grew in significant numbers until the construction of the causeway to the mainland in 1963. the city of sanibel has historically fought high rise developement and as of 1974 no building on the island can exceed two stories. most beaches in southwest florida today are lined with high rise condos and hotels which makes sanibel a very unique island. sanibel is world famous for it's excellent shelling. coquinas, scallops, whelk, and sand dollars can be found on sanibel's beaches. sanibel is home to the ding darling wildlife refuge were you can see herons, egrets, bald eagles, roseate spoonbills, and alligators. sanibel and captiva islands have much to offer the tourist. unspoiled beaches, a 6400 acre wildlife refuge, excellent restaurants, shops and resort hotels. sanibel and captiva is undoubtly one of the best beaches in florida.
there are bike lanes that run along both sides of periwinkle way through sanibel island. be very careful when entering... more travel advice
periwinkle place is one of several small shopping centers on sanibel island. periwinkle place has a nice collection of... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Sanibel Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shhhh, don't tell anyone!"
- "Retreat to Sanibel"
- "sanibel island florida"
- "A Nature Lover's Paradise"
- "Sanibel Island"
- "Sanibel Island"
- "Sanibel and Surroundings in a Whirlwind Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanibel Island
- Hotels in Sanibel Island
- Transportation in Sanibel Island
- Nightlife in Sanibel Island
- Restaurants in Sanibel Island
- Shopping in Sanibel Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Sanibel Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanibel Island
- 20 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Sanibel Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanibel Island
Photos in Sanibel IslandSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues