"anastasia island" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine Beach by doug48
Saint Augustine Beach Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 125 photos
located about 15 miles south of st. augustine on U.S. highway A1A is the fort matanzas visitor center. from here you can visit historic fort matanzas. the fort has a very interesting history. on the site of the present fort the spanish built a wooden watch tower to watch for invaders from the south of st. augustine in 1569. the matanzas (slaughter) river was named after the spanish massacre of 250 french huguenots on the shore of the river in 1564. in 1733 general james oglethorpe founded the english colony of savannah. the spanish were nervious about a english colony so close to st. augustine. in 1740 st. augustine's governor, manuel de montiana built fort matanzas to protect st. augustine's southern flank. general oglethorpe attacked the fort shortly after it was completed during the british-spanish war of jenkins ear. the war of jenkins ear is an interesting historical story. jenkins was a pirate who lost his ear while trying to loot a spanish ship. piracy was against the law in england and was punishable by death. when jenkins returned to england he made up a story that a spanish officer cut off his ear. jenkins told parliment that the spanish officer also said that if the king of england were ever to step foot on the spanish territory of florida he would cut off his ear as well. jenkin's lie started the war of jenkins ear with spain. the war of jenkins ear gave the british general oglethorpe the excuss he needed to invade spainish florida. oglethorpe attacked fort matanzas twice, once in 1740 and again in 1741. on both occasions his fleet was repulsed and the british never conquered st. augustine.
along with fort matanzas on anistasia island is the st. augustine alligator farm and the beautiful beach at anistasia island state park. st. augustine beach is well worth visiting when in the st. augustine area.
anastasia state park is a very nice state park located at st. augustine beach. the state park offers swimming, fishing,... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Saint Augustine Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Augustine Beach in January"
- "anastasia island"
- "Sun and Sand"
- "Saint Augustine and the Beach"
- "Sand dunes and boardwalks"
- "St. Augustine, Flordia"
- ""Beat the Winter Blues Tour""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Augustine Beach
- Hotels in Saint Augustine Beach
- Restaurants in Saint Augustine Beach
- Shopping in Saint Augustine Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Augustine Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Augustine Beach
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Saint Augustine Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Augustine Beach
Photos in Saint Augustine BeachSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues