"saint augustine" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Augustine by doug48
Saint Augustine Travel Guide: 720 reviews and 1,963 photos
about 500 years after the vikings discovered the continent of north america the spaniard, don juan ponce de leon sighted the mainland of north america in 1513. he named the peninsula he saw la florida, (the land of flowers). he claimed this new discovery for the kingdom of spain. the french established a settlement and a fort on the st. johns river near present day jacksonville in 1564. king phillip II of spain named don pedro menendez de aviles to colonize florida and drive out the french and any pirates from spanish territory. on august 28 th 1565, the date of the feast of st. augustine, menendez arrived on the site of the present day city of st. augustine. he immediately started work on the town, a church, and defensive fortifications of this new settlement. he invaded and destroyed the french fort and settlement on the st. johns river and killed 250 french huguenots on the bank of the matanzas river.
incursions on the spanish control of florida and st. augustine did not end with the expulsion of the french. in 1586, the english corair, sir francis drake attacked and burned st. augustine. then in 1668 the pirate, john davis, sacked the town and killed sixty inhabitants. once the british had established settlements in the carolinas and georgia the spanish king authorized the building of the castillo de san marco to protect st. augustine from british invasion. the british under the leadership of general james oglethorpe twice tried to capture st. augustine without success.
in 1763 spain ceded florida to the british in order to regain the capitol of cuba. in the treaty of paris in 1783 florida was returned to the spanish.
finally in 1821 spain sold the florida territory to the united states of america.
today st. augustine is one of the most interesting and historic towns to visit in america. as a visitor you can see over four hundred years of history as well as enjoy good restaurants, a beautiful beach, and several interesting tourist attractions. check out my things to do pages for an overview of the attractions of this interesting city.
vilano beach is a small beach town located on USA1A about 4 miles north of st. augustine. vilano beach has a hampton inn... more travel advice
st. augustine has a beautiful beach located on anastasia island just southeast of the historic district. at anastasia... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Saint Augustine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Augustine"
- "St Augustine"
- "Oldest US City"
- "saint augustine"
- "St. Augustine - The First Coast"
- "My Favorite thing about Florida.. St. Augustine!"
- "History Far Back in Time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Augustine
- Hotels in Saint Augustine
- Transportation in Saint Augustine
- Nightlife in Saint Augustine
- Restaurants in Saint Augustine
- Shopping in Saint Augustine
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Augustine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Augustine
- 22 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (303)
Have you been to Saint Augustine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Augustine
Photos in Saint AugustineSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues