"pensacola florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola by doug48
Pensacola Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 565 photos
pensacola is the county seat of escambia county and is located on I-10 in northwest florida. pensacola is one of the most historic cities in the state. the area around pensacola was first visited by the spanish explorer ponce de leon in 1513. the spanish established a settlement in pensacola in 1559 but later that year the settlement was decimated by a hurricane. the spanish returned to pensacola in 1696. the spanish controlled the town until it was occupied by the french in 1719. like the first spanish settlement of 1559 the french held town of pensacola was almost totally destroyed by a hurricane in 1722. the french continued to hold the area until the end of the french and indian war when the town was ceded to great britian 1763. in 1781 the spanish won the battle of pensacola with the british and pensacola again returned to spanish rule. in 1821 spain ceded spanish west florida to the united states and general andrew jackson was named the first u.s. territorial governor of florida. in 1861 penacola became part of the confederacy. between 1861 and 1862 pensacola was the site of several civil war battles. the union occupied pensacola in may 1862 and the town remained in union hands until the end of the war. in the 19th and early 20 th centuries penscola was an important gulf coast port city. during WWII a number of military bases were built in the area and now the economy of penscola is based on the military and tourism. of interest to the tourist is it's rich history, beautiful french, spanish, and antibellum architecture and beautiful pensacola beach. the downtown historic district has a number of excellent restaurants and bars. pensacola is well worth a visit when traveling on I-10 in northwest florida.
pensacola is located in an area which is prone to summer hurricanes. the town of pensacola was destroyed twice in 1559... more travel advice
the first presbyterian is a historic church located in downtown pensacola. the first presbyterian was founded in 1845. more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 28 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues