"orlando florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando by doug48

Orlando Travel Guide: 3,109 reviews and 5,931 photos

space shuttle atlantis

orlando florida is named after orlando reeves, a U.S. soldier killed in 1837 during the second seminole war. orlando was incorporated in 1875. from 1875 to 1895 orlando was the hub of florida's citrus industry.during WW11 orlando was the home to orlando army air force base, now orlando executive airport. in 1958 mc coy air force base was built south of orlando. today the base is orlando international airport. the economy and culture of orlando drastically changed in 1971 with the opening of walt disney world. this event made orlando world famous and today the orlando area hosts over 50 million visitors a year. pictured is the launch of the space shuttle atlantis, sept 9th 2006. living in central florida allows one to experience this impressive feat of 20th century engineering. sadly as of 2011 the shuttle program is now history but there are still frequent military and scientific lauches from cape that are worth watching.

the purpose of my orlando pages is to give the visitor some other options as to see and do in central florida other than the major theme parks. there are numerous pages on VT which do an excellent job of covering disney world, epcot, universal studios, and sea world. i have posted tips which i think would be helpful to the business traveler and for those that want to see other attractions than the big theme parks. i also have posted tips on things to do at disney and universal that do not require admission to the parks. you may want to visit my off the beaten path tips that show some of central florida's natural attractions and places to see that were around long before the arrival of disney.

after las vegas the orlando area offers the largest number of hotel rooms in the united states. because of the vast number of hotels in the area it can be difficult making a decision as to which one to choose. the best and safest hotels are near the theme park area. these are also the most expensive. in my hotel tips section i have arranged them in good, better, and best areas. a good place to select a hotel is on I-drive between sand lake road and the convention center. a better location is the lake buena vista area. and of course the best location is in the theme parks. hotel break in's and hotel parking lot robberies are not uncommon in orlando so check out the location of a hotel before you book. the following is in my opinion are the best hotels in the orlando area. disney: the grand floridian. universal: portofino bay resort. buena vista: hyatt grand cypress resort. sea world: renaissance orlando resort. I-drive: rosen plaza. downtown: westin grand bohemian. winter park: park plaza gardens hotel. do some internet home work before you book and your hotel choice will enhance your stay in the orlando area.

• Last visit to Orlando: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2012

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Very helpful tips, especially for somebody who does not want to do only theme parks! I put all your restaurant tips on my VT itinerary for next week.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Doug, there certainly isn't a shortage of places to eat and drink in Orlando! Nice tips and photos. Cheers, Bill

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM

very nice hotel information

• terible22's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Great Page! I have been to Orlando a few times!

• cynbreeze2's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 7:17 AM

Hi Doug! My boyfriend and I will be in Orlando next week and I thought I had picked out all the fun spots for him to see. I've spent a lot of time there but forgot some of the great sites you have on your page, guess I have to rework the itinerary.

• melosh's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 1:12 AM

I do not think I have seen a VT site with more top 5 rankings, but I like best that you took the time to do a great job writing about Orlando.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 10:19 AM

There is so much to do in Florida !! We're taking our whole family in Feb ( 11 of us in all) With the snow outside its really something to look forward to . Thanks for sharing!

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I like the picture of the space shuttle. Sounds as though Orlando is quite a hot spot at night. I think I'd be too old for most of the places though. That piano bar looked like a nice place to go.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM

nice photos of the shuttle! I live here too.... and thanks for looking at my homepage :) Haven't had much time to be on here, but will look at your other pages soon

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Some great tips and pics! But if you make it sound too nice, too many people will want to come visit our area and turn it into a touristy place. :)

doug48 Lives Here!

doug48

“travel, have fun, and learn”

Badges & Stats in Orlando

Have you been to Orlando?

Latest Activity in Orlando