"naples florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Naples by doug48
Naples Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 636 photos
the town of naples was founded in the 1880's by general john stuart williams CSA and walter halderman. these early promoters compared the area to naples italy. in the 1920's much of the area around naples was owned by barron collier. he planned to develop naples and nearby marco island but the great depression put a stop to these plans. naples is the county seat of collier county and is named after barron collier. there was little development in the area until the 1960's. today naples is one of florida's most upscale winter resorts. naples has much to offer the tourist. naples has a number of high end beach resorts, world class golf, and excellent shopping and dining. also the area is known for it's excellent salt water fishing and nearby state and national parks.
john stuart williams (1818-1898) was a captain in the mexican-american war. williams was elected to the kentucky house of representives in 1851. williams was a proponent of states rights but was an anti-secessionist. just prior to the outbreak of the civil war williams opposed the militant policies of president lincoln and joined the confederacy. in 1861 he was commissioned as the colonel of the 5 th kentucky infantry. in 1863 williams was promoted to brigadier general and was the commander of the department of southwestern virginia. after the war williams returned to kentucky and was elected to the u.s. senate in 1879. in the late 1880's williams moved to florida and became a land developer. williams was the co-founder of the town of naples florida.
- Pros:beautiful beaches, excellent golf and fishing, several state parks.
- Cons:very expensive during the winter tourist season.
the collier museum is a very interesting place to visit in naples. the museum covers the prehistoric animals that... more travel advice
the florida panther wildlife refuge is located at the intersection of I-75 (alligator alley) and CR29 about 20 miles... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Summerland in Wintertime""
- "Gulf Coast Style"
- "naples florida"
- "crown jewel of the Southwest"
- "RhondaRuth's Naples Florida Page"
- "Naples - city on the bay"
- "Neopolitano Alligators"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
Photos in NaplesSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues