"jacksonville florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville by doug48
Jacksonville Travel Guide: 418 reviews and 914 photos
jacsonville is a large port city located on I-95 in north east florida. jacksonville is the county seat of duval county florida. the area around jacksonville was originally inhabited by the timucaun native american tribe about 6000 years ago. in 1562 the french explorer jean ribault visited the jacksonville area and charted the saint johns river. rene de laudonniere established fort caroline on the bank of the saint johns river. in 1565 the spanish attacked the fort and killed most of it's defenders. the spanish renamed the fort san mateo. in 1791 the settlement of modern day jacksonville was called cowford because cattle could cross a shallow part of the saint johns river near the village. in 1822 spain ceded florida to the united states and cowford was renamed jacksonville after general andrew jackson. during the civil war the port of jacksonville was an important supply depot for the confederacy. the union blockaded the mouth of the saint johns river but there was no invasion of the town. the worst desaster to hit jacksonville was the great fire of 1901. this was the largest urban fire in the southeastern united states and left over 10,000 people homeless. the town was rebuilt after the fire and later became the "winter film capital" of the world. in the 1910's there were 30 silent film studios located in the city. today jacksonville is the largest city in florida in both population and land area. in 1968 the city of jacksonville and duval county were consolidated making jacksonville the largest city in the united states in terms of land area. jacksonville is a southeastern insurance and banking center and an important atlantic port city.
the jacksonville area has numerous attractions for the tourist. near the city is scenic amelia island, jacksonville beach, and ponte vedra beach. downtown jacksonville has several good museums and the jacksonville landing entertainment area. jacksonville is well known as a southern football town. jacksonville is home to the jaguars NFL pro football team and also hosts the annual florida/georgia and gator bowl college football games. the jacksonville area is also known for it's excellent off shore fishing and it's numerous golf courses.
east of downtown jacksonville is it's beautiful atlantic beaches. the main beach is jacksonville beach and there is... more travel advice
the avondale historic district has scores of architectually significant homes and buildings. the majority of avondale's... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Jacksonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jacksonville & America's First Coast"
- "Large Metropolitan City"
- "jacksonville florida"
- "A Story On Jacksonville"
- "Bold New City of the South"
- "Jacksonville - Surprisingly Rich for Tourists"
- "Destination Jacksonville!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jacksonville
- Hotels in Jacksonville
- Transportation in Jacksonville
- Nightlife in Jacksonville
- Restaurants in Jacksonville
- Shopping in Jacksonville
- Warnings and Dangers in Jacksonville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jacksonville
- 23 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Jacksonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jacksonville
Photos in JacksonvilleSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues