"gainesville florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Gainesville by doug48
Gainesville Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 183 photos
the gainesville area was originally settled by timucaun indians over a thousand years ago. in the 1600's spanish colonists raised cattle in nearby payne's prairie. in 1854 gainesville became the county seat of alachua county. originally named hogtown the town was renamed gainesville after general edmund gaines. general gaines was the u.s commander of florida during the second seminole war. gainesville was involved in two battles during the civil war. in february 1864 union troops tried to capture two supply trains in gainesville. this raid was repulsed and the raiders were defeated at the battle of olustee five days later. in august 1864 union troops occupying gainesville were attacked by the florida cavalry and were driven out of town. in 1851 the gainesville academy and the east florida seminary were established. these two insititutions along with the suwanee seminary in lake city and the bartow military academy would be merged to form the university of florida. today the university of florida dominates the economy of gainsville. for the tourist gainesville offers several interesting museums, several nearby state parks, and of course the university of florida athletic events.
edmund p. gaines (1777-1849) was a famous american general. in the early 1800's gaines surveyed routes and boundaries in the mississippi territory including parts of the natchez trace. in 1807 gaines was the commandant of fort stoddard in alabama when aaron burr was a prisoner there. in 1812 colonel gaines commanded the 25 th infantry in the battle of chrysler's farm during the war of 1812. in 1814 gaines was promoted to brigadier general and commanded fort erie in canada. general gaines fought in the black hawk, creek, and seminole indian wars. later in his career gaines was in command of the western army division during the mexican american war.
- Pros:fun college town
- Cons:try to find a parking space.
cross creek is home to marjorie kinnan rawlings historic state park. marjorie kinnan rawlings bought a 72 acre orange... more travel advice
gainesville is a very safe place to visit for the tourist. gainesville does have some crime area that you should avoid.... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Gainesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "gainesville florida"
- "Gainsville Florida -"
- "You Can Always Go Home Again"
- "Gainesville, Florida"
- "ZenGator Loves Gainesville!"
- "Gainesville Florida -"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gainesville
- Hotels in Gainesville
- Transportation in Gainesville
- Nightlife in Gainesville
- Restaurants in Gainesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Gainesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gainesville
- 20 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Gainesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gainesville
Photos in GainesvilleSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues