"bradenton florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Bradenton by doug48
Bradenton Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 221 photos
the area around bradenton was originally discovered by spanish explorer hernando de soto in 1539. bradention is named after dr. joseph braden and was incorporated in 1903. bradenton is the county seat of manatee county florida. bradenton is located on the manatee river near south tampa bay. of interest to the tourist is it's nearby gulf coast beaches, excellent fresh and salt water fishing, and a number of good golf courses. for those interested in antebellum history the gamble plantation is located in nearby ellenton. during the winter tourist season bradenton is less expensive than it's gulf coast neighbors.
confederate secretary of state judah p. benjamin was a visitor to the gamble plantation near bradenton after the fall of the confederacy during the civil war. benjimin is a very interesting character in american history. judah p. benjamin (1811-1884) immigrated to the u.s. from great britian and was a louisiana plantation owner. benjamin was the first jewish senator from the state of louisiana and the first jewish american to hold a cabinet position in a north american government. prior to the civil war benjaman favored succession from the union and was pro slavery. in 1854 benjamin had a famous debate with abolitionist senator benjamin wade on the floor of the u.s. senate. wade called benjamin a "isrealite in egyptian clothing" because of benjamin's pro slavery views. benjamin responded by saying " it is true that i am a jew, and when my ancestors were receiving their ten commandments from the immediate deity, amist the thundering and lightnings of mt. sinai, the ancestors of my opponent were hearding swine in the forests of great britian". at the outbreak of the civil war benjamin joined the confederacy and was appointed attorney general by president jefferson davis. later benjamin was appointed secretary of war and secretary of state for the confederacy. president davis hoped that benjamin would convince great britain to side with the confederates during the war. after the end of the civil war benjamin was a wanted man by the union and he fled to florida. benjamin took refuge at the gamble plantation near bradenton then was smuggled out of florida to the bahamas. benjamin retured to england and had a successful career as a barrister. benjamin died in paris in 1884.
bradenton beach is located on anna maria island about 8 miles west of downtown bradenton. this beautiful gulf beach has... more travel advice
the twin dolphin marina is a full service marina located on the river in downtown bradention. because of it's excellent... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Bradenton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "bradenton florida"
- "Bradenton, little Tampa South on the Gulf Coast"
- "Bradenton Florida"
- "Bradenton and the Gulf of Mexico"
- "Bradenton - Springtime home of the Pirates"
- "floridares32's new Bradenton Page"
- "What I think of Bradenton"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bradenton
- Hotels in Bradenton
- Transportation in Bradenton
- Nightlife in Bradenton
- Restaurants in Bradenton
- Warnings and Dangers in Bradenton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bradenton
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (306)
Have you been to Bradenton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bradenton
Photos in BradentonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues