"boca raton florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Boca Raton by doug48
Boca Raton Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 165 photos
boca raton was first discovered by spanish explorers. it's name boca raton is commonly translated as "rat's mouth" or "rocky inlet". the area around boca raton was sparcely inhabited until the florida land boom of the 1920's. in 1903 the yamato colony west of boca raton was founded by jo sakai. sakai recruited farmers from his home town of miyazu japan to work on his pineapple plantation. during WWII the colony was disbanded and the yamato land confiscated by the federal government. after the war a small part of the original yamato plantation was farmed by george morikami until the 1970's. the architect and real estate developer addison mizner had a huge impact on the architecture and development of boca raton during the 1920's. numerous examples of his mediterranean inspired homes and buildings can be seen in palm beach and boca raton. today boca raton is a upscale winter tourist resort area and is part of the west palm beach-miami urban sprawl. boca raton has much to offer the tourist, a beautiful beach, excellent off shore sport fishing, world class golf courses, fine dining, and interesting mediterranean architecture. boca raton is one of the nicest beach towns in southeast florida.
addison mizner (1872-1933) was a famous south florida architect and real estate developer during the florida land boom in the 1920's. his style of architecture was inspired by the mediterranean villas of italy and spain. during the 1920's he designed homes for the wealthy in palm beach and boca raton. some examples are el mirasil 1919, villa flora 1921, la guerida 1923. today much of the architecture of south florida is mizner inspired.
- Pros:beautiful beach, upscale hotels, dining, and shopping
- Cons:expensive during the winter season
the boca raton resort was originally built in 1926 and was designed by famous south florida architect addison mizner.... more travel advice
south inlet is located on s. ocean blvd next to south inlet county park. the inlet jetty offers excellent saltwater... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Boca Raton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "my palace away from home"
- "boca raton florida"
- "Boca Raton"
- "Boca Raton"
- "On Business"
- "Something different"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boca Raton
- Hotels in Boca Raton
- Transportation in Boca Raton
- Nightlife in Boca Raton
- Restaurants in Boca Raton
- Shopping in Boca Raton
- Warnings and Dangers in Boca Raton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boca Raton
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Boca Raton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boca Raton
Photos in Boca RatonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues