"apalachicola florida" Apalachicola by doug48
Apalachicola Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 34 photos
apalachicola is the county seat of franklin county and is located near the gulf of mexico in northwest florida. it's name derives from the hitchiti indian word "apalahchi" and "okli" meaning people from the other side. modern apalachicola began as a trading post named cottonton. in 1827 the town was incorporated as west point. in 1831 the town's name was changed to apalachicola. by the mid 1800's apalachicola was the third busiest port on the gulf coast behind new orleans and mobile. in the late 1800's and the early 1900's apalachicola biggest industry was the sponge trade. today apalachicola is known as the "oyster capital" of florida. 90% of florida's oysters are harvested in apalachicola bay. apalachicola is a very interesting and historic place to visit when in northwest florida.
st. george island is located southeast of apalachicola in the gulf of mexico. st. george island is home to st. george... more travel advice
the owl cafe located in downtown apalachicola is one the the best restaurants in town. they specialize in local seafood... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Apalachicola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "apalachicola florida"
- "Quiet Panhandle Town with Genuine Charm"
- "Great Old Florida town"
- "Basaic Apalachicola Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apalachicola
- Hotels in Apalachicola
- Restaurants in Apalachicola
- Shopping in Apalachicola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apalachicola
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Apalachicola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apalachicola
Photos in ApalachicolaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues