"spanish fort alabama" Spanish Fort by doug48
Spanish Fort Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 26 photos
spanish fort alabama is located on I-10 on the eastern shore of mobile bay. the spanish fort area was originally a french trading post in the mid 1700's. the spanish built a fort here in 1780. the town of spanish fort became part of the united states in 1814. of interest to the tourist is it's visitors center were you can get information on attractions of the mobile area and historic blakeley battlefield state park.
the battle of blakeley was the last combined force battle in the civil war. fort blakeley was located near spanish fort and was the eastern confederate defensive position for the city of mobile. in april 1865 the union forces commanded by general edward candby attacked the confederate defenders commanded by general st. john liddell. general candby had 16,000 troops compared to general liddell's 4,000. after a seven day battle liddell was forced to surrender. this victory resulted in the union occupation of the city of mobile.
at blakeley park you can tour the tensaw river on the delta explorer tour boat. blakeley state park has much to offer... more travel advice
located on SR 225 just north of spanish fort is the blakeley battlefield state park. the battle of blakeley was the last... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Spanish Fort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Spanish Fort"
- "spanish fort alabama"
- "Historic Blakely Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spanish Fort
- Transportation in Spanish Fort
- Restaurants in Spanish Fort
- Warnings and Dangers in Spanish Fort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spanish Fort
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Spanish Fort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spanish Fort
Photos in Spanish FortSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues