"montgomery alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Montgomery by doug48
Montgomery Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 340 photos
montgomery is the capital and second largest city in alabama. the area around montgomery was originally inhabited by the aibamu native american tribe. the first european to visit the area was hernando de soto in 1540. the first white settler was james mc queen in 1716. montgomery did not have any significant population until 1818 when general john scott founded alabama town. shortly after the founding of alabama town andrew dexter established new philadelphia in today's downtown area. prior to the civil war mongomery was an important cotton market town and had a large slave exchange. the capital of alabama was moved from tuscaloosa to montgomery in 1846. in 1861 montgomery was briefly the capital of the confederacy. in 1865 montgomery was occupied by the forces of union general james h. wilson. fortunately for the beautiful ante bellum architecture of the city wilson decided not to burn montgomery. in 1886 montgomery was the first city in the united states to have city wide electric street car service. in modern times montgomery is best known for it's involvement in the 1950's and 1960's civil rights movement. in 1955 the rosa parks incident sparked the montgomery bus boycott and in 1965 montgomery was the terminus of the selma to montgomery civil rights protest march. montgomery has much to offer the tourist who is interested in history and architecture. montgomery has scores of beautiful ante bellum homes and the historic old alabama town. montgomery has several good museums and a number of good restaurants and hotels. montgomery is well worth a visit when in central alabama.
the city of st. jude was founded by catholic priest harold purcell in 1951. the city of st. jude hospital was the first... more travel advice
huntingdon college was founded in 1854 by the methodist church. huntingdon college has a beautiful 71 acre campus in the... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Montgomery Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montgomery: Alabama's Capital City"
- "montgomery alabama"
- "Basaic Montgomery Page"
- "Hospitality and Dark Memories"
- "Midnight in Montgomery"
- "Montgomery, Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montgomery
- Hotels in Montgomery
- Transportation in Montgomery
- Nightlife in Montgomery
- Restaurants in Montgomery
- Shopping in Montgomery
- Warnings and Dangers in Montgomery
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montgomery
- 24 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (303)
Have you been to Montgomery?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montgomery
Photos in MontgomerySee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues