"mobile alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile by doug48
Mobile Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 736 photos
mobile is located on the mobile river in lower alabama. mobile is the county seat of mobile county. originally mobile was a french trading settlement named fort louis de la louisiane that was established in 1702. louis de la louisiane was the first capital of the french colony of louisiana. in 1711 pierre le moyne d'iberville and jean baptiste le moyne moved the town several miles south to mobile bay. here they built fort louis in present day downtown mobile. in 1723 a new brick fort was built on the site of fort louis and was renamed fort conde. in the 1763 treaty of paris mobile was ceded to great britian. the spanish captured the town in 1780 and mobile became part of spanish west florida. after the war of 1812 spain ceded the florida territory to the united states in 1813. during the first half of the 19 th century mobile became an important cotton exchange and port city. mobile became part of the confederacy at the out break of the civil war. in 1865 the confederates were defeated in the battle of blakeley in near by spanish fort and the union occupied mobile. in the 20 th century mobile became an important ship building center during WWI and WWII. today the economy of mobile is based on transportation and ship building.
the city of mobile has much to offer the tourist. for those interested in history and architecture mobile has scores of historic buildings and homes and several excellent museums. mobile is not far from the alabama gulf coast beaches and near mobile is beautiful bellingraph gardens. mobile is a very interesting place to visit when traveling on I-10 in south alabama.
spanish plaza is a nice public park located just west of downtown. this plaza comemorates the spanish period of mobile's... more travel advice
the guesnard house was built in 1859 for theodore guesnard a prominent mobile jeweler. this beautiful brick home is just... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Mobile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Mobile Page"
- "Mobile and the Gulf Coast"
- "mobile alabama"
- "Mobile is a Secret Southern Powerhouse!"
- "Alabama's Bay Port on the Gulf"
- "Sweet Home Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mobile
- Hotels in Mobile
- Transportation in Mobile
- Nightlife in Mobile
- Restaurants in Mobile
- Shopping in Mobile
- Warnings and Dangers in Mobile
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mobile
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Mobile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mobile
Photos in MobileSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues