"fort payne alabama" Fort Payne by doug48
Fort Payne Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 160 photos
fort payne is located just off of I-59 between chattanooga tenneseee and gadsden alabama in northeast alabama. fort payne is the county seat of dekalb county alabama. fort payne was originally a cherokee native american village called willistown. in the 1830's major john payne built a fort in the willistown area to intern cherokees until their relocation to oklahoma. the fort payne area was involved in a couple of minor skirmishes during the second battle of chattanooga during the civil war. in the 1880's coal and iron ore deposits were found in the fort payne area and the town of fort payne was incorporated in 1889. today the economy of fort payne is based on sock manufacturing. of interest to the tourist is the southern rock group "alabama" museum, and near by little river national preserve and de soto state park.
de soto falls is located on CR 89 between de soto state park and the town of mentone on lookout mountain. at the falls... more travel advice
the little river and little river canyon are one of the most interesting natural attractions of the southeastern united... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Fort Payne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the Midst of a Nice area to Visit"
- "Fort Payne, Alabama"
- "fort payne alabama"
- "Little River Canyon National Preserve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Payne
- Restaurants in Fort Payne
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Payne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Payne
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Fort Payne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Payne
Photos in Fort PayneSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues