"birmingham alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by doug48
Birmingham Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 445 photos
birmingham is the county seat of jefferson county and the largest city in alabama. birmingham is located at the junction of interstate highways I-20 and I-65. birmingham is named after birmingham england and was founded in 1871. the area around birmingham once had large deposits of iron ore, coal, and limestone which are the principal ingredients in making steel. nicknamed the "pittsburg of the south" birmingham was an important steel manufacturing city from the turn of the 20 th century until the great depression of the 1930's. there are still a couple of steel mills operating in the birmingham area today. of interest to tourists is nearby oak mountain and tannehill state parks, the historic sloss furnaces, and the downtown civil rights district. on the south side of birmingham is the upscale areas of mountain brook, vestavia hills, and homewood which offer excellent shopping, dining, and nightlife. birmingham is a very interesting city to visit when in north central alabama.
in modern times the city of birmingham is best known for it's part in the civil rights movement of the 1960's. after the radical reconstruction era in the decade after the civil war the state of alabama enacted "jim crow" laws to segreate the white and black populations and to suppress black economic and voting rights. in 1963 the civil rights activist martin luther king and the southern christian leadership conference (SCLC) planned a series of sit ins, marches, and boycotts to protest birmingham's segregation laws. king recruited black students for his "children's crusade" to protest the "jim crow" culture of the city. birmingham police chief eugene "bull" connor who was a vehement segregationist used force to disrupt these demonstrations. conner used fire hoses and police dogs to disperse the protesters. this show of force made national news and public outcry went against the policies of conner. a moderate white organization called the "citizens for progress" ousted conner from his position as police chief later that year. after the protests the the 16 th street baptist church was bombed by the klu klux klan and four children were killed. this bombing outraged the nation and led to the signing of the 1964 civil rights act. in the ingram park area of downtown birmingham you can visit the birmingham civil rights insititute and the 16 th street baptist church.
vestavia hills and nearby homewood alabama are very nice upper middle class areas just south of downtown birmingham.... more travel advice
the five points and highlands areas are the nicest parts of downtown birmingham. five points is birmingham's... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "birmingham alabama"
- "A look in the mirror of the past - 1969"
- "A Drive Through Birmingham, Alabama"
- "A Metallic Taste - Birmingham, Alabama"
- "Sweet Home Alabama"
- "Southern Steel Mill Town"
- "The Magic City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 27 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
Photos in BirminghamSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues