"auburn alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Auburn by doug48
Auburn Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 60 photos
the area around present day auburn was originally inhabited by the creek native american tribe. the first white settlers arrived in the area in 1836. the settlement was founded by judge john harper as a religious and educational center. the town of auburn was incorporated in 1839. in 1856 the state chartered the east alabama male college which today is called auburn university. the town of auburn emptied during the civil war and auburn's schools and businesses were closed. the economy of auburn suffered during the decade of "radical reconstruction" and auburn's schools did not reopen until the 1870's. in 1872 the east alabama male college was renamed alabama agricultural and mechanical college and in 1892 it was the first college in alabama to admit women. today the economy and culture of auburn is dominated by the university. the main attaction to the tourist is auburn university's athletic events.
the jule collins smith museum of fine art is located on college street about 1/2 mile south of the auburn campus. the... more travel advice
toomer's corner is the intersection of college & magnolia streets in downtown auburn. toomer's corner is named after... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Auburn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Auburn Page"
- "auburn alabama"
- ""Lovliest Village on the Plain""
- "I'm Just Passin' Through"
- "Auburn, Alabama Home of Auburn University Football"
- "Auburn, Tiger town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auburn
- Hotels in Auburn
- Nightlife in Auburn
- Restaurants in Auburn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auburn
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (304)
Have you been to Auburn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auburn
Photos in AuburnSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues