"koblenz germany" Koblenz by doug48
Koblenz Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 1,096 photos
koblenz is situated at the confluence of the rhine and mosel rivers. the city's name comes from the latin "castellum apud confluentes". the area around koblenz was first settled around 11,000 years ago. julius caesar conquered the region in 55BC. the first roman fort was built in koblenz in 9BC. the franks destroyed the roman fort in 259AD but koblenz remained in roman hands until the late 5th century. koblenz subsequently became part of the frankish kingdom of the merovingians. at the split of charlemagne's empire in 843 koblenz was inherited by his grandson lothair I. in 882 koblenz was pillaged and destroyed by the vikings. in 1216 archbishop theodrich von wied invites the knights of the teutonic order to koblenz and grants them some land near st. castor church. because of it's strategic position koblenz has been conquered a number of times in modern history. koblenz was occupied by the swedes during the thirty years war and by the french between 1634 and 1646. in 1688 during the war of the palatinate succession koblenz was destroyed by the french. koblenz was to remain german until 1799 when it was incorporated into the french republic. after napoleon's defeat in russia the russians took over the city in december 1813. koblenz was granted to prussia by the congress of vienna in 1815. after WWI koblenz was part of the french occupation of the rhineland. koblenz was returned to germany in 1929.
koblenz is a very beautiful and historic place to visit when in the rhineland. to really take in the sites of koblenz you need to spend at least a day or two.
koblenz is a great place to take a cruise on the mosel river. a very nice cruise is to trier. you will pass numerous... more travel advice
pictured is a close up of the base of this unique column. these are romans rowing down the rhine or mosel river. the... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Koblenz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where Rhine and Moselle meet – and also VTers!"
- "Castellum apud confluentes"
- "Koblenz, like my 2nd home"
- "Opera in Koblenz"
- "Where two great rivers meet - Koblenz"
- "koblenz germany"
- "A good base for exploring......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koblenz
- Hotels in Koblenz
- Transportation in Koblenz
- Nightlife in Koblenz
- Restaurants in Koblenz
- Shopping in Koblenz
- Warnings and Dangers in Koblenz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koblenz
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (303)
Have you been to Koblenz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koblenz
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues