"prague czech republic" Prague by doug48
Prague Travel Guide: 12,004 reviews and 25,280 photos
prague is the capital and largest city in the czech republic. it is located on the vltava river in central bohemia. the area around modern day prague was originally settled durning the stone age. around 200 BC celts had settlements in the area. in the 9 th century AD a castle was built on the vltava in what is now the old quarter of prague. under holy roman emperor otto II prague became a bishopric in 973 AD. the city grew rapidly in the 11 th and 12th centuries. king vladislav II built the first bridge over the vltava in 1170. in 1257 king otakar II founded the little quarter for prague's german population. the city flourished during the 14 th century under the rule of holy roman emperor charles IV. charles IV ordered the building of the new town district of prague, the charles bridge, st. vitus cathedral, and charles university. in 1355 prague became the capital of the holy roman empire. during the reign of king wenceslas IV jan hus tried to reform the catholic church. hus was summoned to the council of constance, put on trial for heresy, and burned at the stake in 1415. his execution led to several hussite wars. in 1526 the kingdom of bohemia was given to the house of habsburg. in 1576 the habsburg holy roman emperior rudolf II moved to prague. under rudolf prague became a center for european art and science. in 1618 during the thirty years war the habsburgs were deposed and frederick V, elector of palatine was named king of bohemia. the 17 th century was a difficult period for bohemia. frederick V was defeated in the battle of white mountain in 1620. in 1631 bohemia was involved in a war with the saxons and in 1648 prague was occupied by the swedes. in 1689 a great fire devastated the city and in 1713 prague suffered a plague. in the 19 th century prague propered under habsburg rule until the defeat of the austrian empire in WW I. after WW I prague became the capital of the first republic of czechoslovakia. in 1939 nazi germany invaded prague and set up the german protectorate of bohemia and moravia. during this period prague's large jewish population fled the city or were sent to concentration camps. in 1945 the soviet army entered the city and prague was under soviet control until 1989. since the fall of the soviet union prague has prospered and most of the city's historic buildings and churches have been restored.
today prague is one of the most beautiful cities in europe. for those interested in art, history, classical music, and architecture prague is a must see site in central europe.
my first 10 things to do tips cover the top ten sights of prague
tips 11-32 cover many of the attractions of the old quarter (stare mesto)
tips 33-40 cover many of the attractions of the jewish quarter (josetov)
tips 41-54 cover many of the attractions of the little quarter (mala strana)
tips 55-66 cover many of the attractions of prague castle (hradcany)
tips 67-83 cover many of the attractions of new town (nove mesto)
tips 84-89 cover many of the attractions of petrin hill
tips 90-97 cover many of the museums of central prague
tip 98 is on a day trip to karlstejn castle
- Pros:one of the most beautiful cities in europe
- Cons:a very safe place but they will rip you off if you let them
cesky krumlov is a very worth while side trip when in prague. by train you go to ceske budejovice then connect to cesky... more travel advice
the kafka museum has collections on the life and works of franz kafka. franz kafka (1883-1924) is prague's most famous... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "prague czech republic"
- "PRAHA - PRAGUE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 125 Reviews
- 165 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues