"linz" Top 5 Page for this destination Linz by doug48
Linz Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 449 photos
linz is a city on the danube about half way between salzburg and vienna. in the center of the city is the haupt platz. this is a good point to start a visit of the historical and architectural sites of linz. in the center of the square is the trinity column built in 1723. the architecture of the buildings that surround the square reflect the renaissance, baroque, and rocco periods the rathus on the right side of the square was built in 1513. the large church on the square is the alter dom (old cathedral) built by pietro fransco carlon for the jesuits in 1669. a block north of the square is mozarthaus where mozart wrote the "linz symphony" in 1783. an excellent site to visit is www.linz.at , the official stadt linz site. on the third page of the site chick "stroll through linz" section. this will high light all of the architectual and historic points of interest in the city
linz's most infamous resident was adolf hitler. hitler's family lived in the linz area from 1899 to 1903. hitler and his mother moved to central linz from leoning in 1903 after the death of his father. their apartment is located at humboldstrasse 31 in central linz. adolf hitler's boyhood in linz made a great impression on him. after the austrian anschluss, (union) with germany he commissioned albert speer to formulate a building plan to transform linz into the austrian capitol of the third reich. fortunately for the beautiful city of linz these plans were never carried out.
just south of linz on the east side of the danube is the mauthausen concentration camp. built in 1938 it was the primary concentration camp for austria's jewish population. adjcent to the camp was the wiener graben, (granite quarry). thousands of workers died working in this quarry. in all, over a 100,000 people died in this camp before it was liberated in 1945 simon wiesenthal survived his imprisonment in mauthausen and became the founder of the wiesenthal center that tracked down nazi war criminals. a disturbing site to visit but interesting to students of 20th century history and the holocaust.
in the center of the hauptplatz in central linz is the trinity column. the trinity column was built by sebastian... more travel advice
an infamous resident of linz was adolf hitler. he lived in this apartment building with his mother from 1903 to 1905. more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Linz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Linz Page"
- "A Winter's Day in Linz"
- "Hitler's Favourite City"
- "Linz - European Capital of Culture 2009 !"
- "Linz Page"
- "Nice Small City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Linz
- Hotels in Linz
- Transportation in Linz
- Nightlife in Linz
- Restaurants in Linz
- Shopping in Linz
- Warnings and Dangers in Linz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Linz
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Linz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Linz
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues