"stonehenge" Stonehenge by doug48
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 545 photos
stonehenge is a fascinating archeological site on the salisbury plain eight miles north of salisbury england. this site began as an earthen circle around 3100BC. archeologists believe that stonehenge was built in three phases. the first phase was an earthen circle with wooden posts. between 2950 and 2900BC sandstone rocks were added to the site. these stones are believed to have come from marlborough downs twenty five miles north of the site. in the third phase the massive bluestones were added some time between 2250 and 1600BC. these stones are believed to come from pembrokeshire in wales. some of these stones weigh up to fourty five tons.
it is not known for sure who built this massive structure or what was it's purpose. some believe it is an astronomical calender or a pagan religious site. later in history this site was used by celtic priests called the druids. today modern "druids" celebrate the summer solstice here every year. stonehenge is a marvel of the prehistoric world and is very much worth visiting when in the salisbury area.
doug48's Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "Those stones at Stonehenge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (134)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues