"clonmacnoise" Clonmacnoise by doug48
Clonmacnoise Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 54 photos
clonmacnoise was founded by st. ciaran around 545AD. this monastery thrived from the 7th to the 12th centuries. it was plundered both by the vikings and the anglo-normans. clonmacnoise is at the junction of several medieval trade routes which linked it to all parts of ireland. in the middle ages it was a center of scholarship and piety. many kings of tara and connaught are buried here. in 1979 pope john paul II conducted mass here.
pictured are some of the beautiful crosses and grave stones of clonmacnoise. more travel advice
pictured is an ancient grave slab in the clonmacnoise museum. the museum is located in the clonmacnoise visitor center. more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Clonmacnoise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Clonmacnoise, an early Christian site"
- "WELCOME TO MY CLONMACNOISE PAGE......:-)"
- "Celtic Ireland to the max!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clonmacnoise
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Clonmacnoise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clonmacnoise
Photos in ClonmacnoiseSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues