"padova (padua)" Padova by doug48
Padova Travel Guide: 721 reviews and 1,971 photos
padova is a small medieval city about 30 miles west of venice. when visiting venice padova is worth a side trip. the main site of the city is the scrovegni chapel. it is located a block from the train station. enrico scrovegni bought the land around the ruins of an ancient roman arena and built a home and chapel. this chapel was originally called the "chapel of the arena". in 1305 scrovegni commissioned giotto to paint frescos on the walls and ceiling of the chapel. giotto, born in 1267 was considered the father of western art and the most famous artist of his day. he was also commissioned by several popes to paint st. peters and san giovanni in rome. his works can be seen all over italy but the scrovegni chapel is probably giotto's best collection. the chapel has a beautiful bright blue ceiling and the walls are covered with biblical stories. the best examples are the "arrest of Christ", "Christ mocked","the ascent to calvary" and the "crucifixion". this chapel is a must see for the student of medieval art. to enter the chapel you must buy a ticket in advance because of environmental concerns only a few people are allowed in the chapel at one time.
some other interesting sites in padova are the palazzo del capitanio built in 1599. the astronomical clock on the palazzo dates back to 1344. the domo of padova is also interesting. besure to see the 12th century frescos by giusto de menaboui. also worth seeing is the byzantine architecture of the basilica di sant' antonio built in 1232.
doug48's Related Pages
Padova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padova...our new home...for now"
- "PADOVA - PADUA"
- "Focal Point of the Past"
- "Padova, Padua, Padoa, Patavium"
- "Prato della Valle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padova
- Hotels in Padova
- Transportation in Padova
- Nightlife in Padova
- Restaurants in Padova
- Shopping in Padova
- Warnings and Dangers in Padova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Padova
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (303)
Have you been to Padova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padova
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues