"tallinn (reval) estonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County by doug48
Tallinn County Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 1,867 photos
tallinn, also known as reval is a beautiful medieval city in estonia. around 800 AD the vikings invaded estonia. this was around the time that the vikings established trading settlements in russia to facilitate trade with constantinople. in the 12 th century russia tried to control estonia but their attacks were repelled. in 1211 the german teutonic knights subdued pagan estonia. in 1219 the teutonic knights formed an alliance with the danes and built a fortress on the baltic coast called tallinn (danish castle). estonia was to remain a german colony until the 16 th century. tallinn, (reval), became a member of the german hanseatic trading league. in1558 ivan the terrible invaded estonia, but in 1582 the swedes drove the russians out of the country. under swedish rule the baltic germans were allowed to administer tallinn. peter the great formed an alliance with poland and with poland's help re-conquered estonia during the great northern war. as with the swedes, peter the great allowed the baltic germans to adminster the country.
in the early 20 th century a communist movement began in estonia led by mikhail kalinin. in 1905 many manor houses owned by baltic germans were burned by the communists. in 1918 under the treaty of brest-litovsk between the germans and the russians estonia was granted it's independence. in 1939 under the secret protocols of the ribbentrop-molotov pact estonia, latvia, lithuania, and finland were to become under soviet control while germany was free to invade poland with out soviet intervention.
on june 22 nd 1941 adolf hitler invaded the soviet union. his army group north surged through latvia and lithuania on their way to leningrad. the german occupation was seen as a liberation by the estonians. after years of soviet rule the germans were considered "cultivated" compared to the bolsheviks. in 1944 after the german defeat in stalingrad the red army re-invaded estonia. over 70,000 estonians fled to sweden and another 30,000 withdrew to germany. from 1944 to 1991 estonia returned to harsh soviet rule. on august 20 th 1991 the estonians regained their independence.
tallinn today remains the best preserved of the great hansa cities.
a good travel guide to estonia and tallinn is, estonia, the bradt travel guide, neil taylor, pub: the globe pequot press.
old town tallinn offers a vast collection of gothic, baroque, and renaissance houses and public buildings. old town... more travel advice
the town hall is located in the center of old town on old town square (raekoda plats). originally built in the 13th... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Tallinn County Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My good, old home town"
- "A Brit's guide to Tallin"
- "The capital of Estonia"
- "tallinn (reval) estonia"
- "The Noble City of Tallinn"
- "Tallinn, the city will never be the same"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn County
- Hotels in Tallinn County
- Transportation in Tallinn County
- Nightlife in Tallinn County
- Restaurants in Tallinn County
- Shopping in Tallinn County
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn County
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn County
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Tallinn County?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn County
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues