"berchtesgaden" Berchtesgaden by doug48
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 829 photos
berchtesgaden is a beautiful alpine village located near the german-austrian border about 30 miles west of salzburg. in this charming village you can visit the stiftskirche, (abbey church) and the schloss, (castle) once the summer residence of the wittelsbachs. on the east edge of town is the salzbergwerk, (salt mine) it has been in constant operation since 1517. there is an interesting tour of the mine. west of town is lake konigssee. you can take a boat tour of this beautiful lake. near the konigssee parking area you can take the jenner cable car for a spectactular view of watzmann mountain and the valley below.
today berchtesgaden is probably best known for it's infamous resident, adolf hitler. hitler bought a summer cottage on the obersalzberg plateau in 1928. this purchase changed this sleeply little alpine village forever. during the third reich berchtsgaden became the play ground of nazi big whigs. hermann goring, joseph gobbels and martin borman had second homes in berchtesgaden.
berchtesgaden has alot to offer, hiking, fishing and golf in the summer and skiing in the winter, as well as a number of historical sites for students of 20th century history.
an excellent guide book for germany is "day trips germany" earl steinblickler, pub. hastings house.
two definative books about nazi germany are, "rise and fall of the third reich" william l. shirer, pub. simon & schuster and "adolf hitler", john toland, pub: doubleday.
an interesting site to see before and after pictures of berchtesgaden during the third reich is www.thirdreichruins.com
pictured is a view of berchtesgaden from the kehlsteinhaus. more travel advice
pictured is the elevator which takes you to the kehlsteinhaus. the interior of the elevator is gold plated. the elevator... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
- "Bavarian Beauty"
- "Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint"
- "Side Trip to Bavaria"
- "More pictures from Konigsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berchtesgaden
- Hotels in Berchtesgaden
- Transportation in Berchtesgaden
- Nightlife in Berchtesgaden
- Restaurants in Berchtesgaden
- Shopping in Berchtesgaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Berchtesgaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Berchtesgaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden
Photos in BerchtesgadenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues