"dachau germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Dachau by doug48
Dachau Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 481 photos
dachau is a small town located about 12 miles northwest of munich. this village will always be remembered for the nearby dachau concentration camp. in 1933 dachau concentration camp was established in bavaria, oranienburg concentration camp near berlin, and buchenwald concentration camp near weimar. originally the purpose of these camps were to house political prisoners. the first inmates of dachau were german social democrats and communists. as time went on "asocials", homosexuals, criminals, jehovah witnesses, and gypsies were added to the inmate population. after 1938 about 60,000 jews were sent to dachau. after the out break of WWII poles and russians were also sent to dachau. a few of dachau's more famous inmates were, kurt von schuschnigg, the former chancellor of austria, leon blum the former jewish premier of france, and the reverend martin niemoller.
theodor eicke was the second kommadant of dachau and later became the chief inspector of all of the third reich's camps. originally dachau was a work camp and a educational facility for national socialist indoctrination of "enemies of the state". later dachau became a more sinister place. dachau was not considered a "death camp" but over 25,000 people died here of disease, malnutrition, and victims of medical experiments. after the out break of WWII the living conditions at dachau became deplorable. dachau held over 200,000 people from over 30 countries. just before the liberation of dachau in 1945 a typhus epidemic broke out killing thousands of inmates. heinrich wicker was the last komandant of dachau and was executed in 1945. dachau is a disturbing place to visit but historically signifcant. a very important site to see for students of 20th century history and the holocaust.
pictured is theodor eicke and his staff in 1933. eicke is second from the left in the back row.
the following is a list of the kommandants of dachau.
hilmar wackerle 1933
theodor eicke 1933-1934
alexander reiner 1934
berthold maack 1934-1935
heinrich deliber 1935-1936
hans loritz 1936-1939
alex piorkowski 1939-1942
martin weiss 1942-1943
wilhem weiter 1943-1948
johannes otto 1945
heinrich wicker 1945
pictured is two of four ovens in the crematorium. because of the disease, malnutrition, and execution of so many... more travel advice
pictured is barrack X. this brick building housed the camp gas chamber and crematorium. the gas chamber was experimental... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Dachau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dachau: the beginning of the end"
- "To Honor the Dead, and to Remind the Living"
- "dachau germany"
- "Dachau, even the name evokes horror..."
- "The former SS concentration camp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dachau
- Hotels in Dachau
- Transportation in Dachau
- Nightlife in Dachau
- Restaurants in Dachau
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dachau
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Dachau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachau
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues