"Port Harcourt (Garden City), Rivers State" Port Harcourt by angolense
Port Harcourt Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 40 photos
Typically people practically live on the streets and work at least 6 days a week. On Sunday most people attend church services.
Their small shops line the sides of every busy street with a cocophony of shacks, sounds and motorcycles (the infamous 'okadas').
This is a typical third world city, with plenty of chaotic traffic and urban plight. Although frequently seen in the international media as a dangerous place in the Delta region, day-to-day security is not a concern. Local people are very friendly to Americans, and Europeans, and many work here as expatriates.
There are many quite good international hotels, an airport directly connected by daily flights to Europe, a seaport, and a couple of football stadiums. No big malls or public cinemas, nor fine restaurants/coffee shops.
Weddings are big events here. They start with the church service and finish in a reception hall with some variety entainment, fast food/buffet and evryone displying their best typical African attire. An interesting experience.
- Pros:Work as an expat make more money, good temperature all year around
- Cons:Living conditions, difficulty driving alone, small variety of foods, constant interruptions of electric and water services, frequent rain.
- In a nutshell:A typical third world African city, although modern facilities available if you know where to find them.
angolense's Related Pages
Port Harcourt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portharcourt the Garden City of Nigeria"
- "sonny advance links technology in port harcourt"
- "Port Harcourt Buisness Travel"
- "Ancient Landmarks"
- "My time in Port Harcourt (working!!)"
- "Port Harcourt (Garden City), Rivers State"
- "Nigerias big oil town"
- See All...
- Hotels in Port Harcourt
- Restaurants in Port Harcourt
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Harcourt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Harcourt
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Port Harcourt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Harcourt
Top 5 Pages
- Port-of-Spain Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Manama Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Port Harcourt Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Dubai Intro, 2 photos
- Kazakhstan Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.