"Whidbey Island Road Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Whidbey Island by sinjabc
Whidbey Island Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 117 photos
We started our road trip on Whidbey Island by driving over the Deception Pass Bridge through the State Park. We continued through Oak Harbor, Coupeville, and Freeland. We camped at South Whidbey State Park. Beautiful campground surrounded by old growth trees on a bay off the ocean. Well serviced, clean and outdoorsy. Cloudy, cold and rainy in May; I would return in summer when the weather is sunny and warmer.
We went to the Bayview Farmers Market, which was smaller earlier in the season. Took a drive along the west coastline through Double Bluff beach area, Port Townsend ferry terminal, and Fort Casey. Oak Harbor is the best place to thoroughly shop for equipment, supplies and groceries if you did not already do so off the I-5. Chipmunks and squirrels are agressive at South Whidbey State Park. Do not leave any food unattended even if you are nearby.
Our male companions enjoyed a round of golf at the Island Greens (9-hole public course). We went to Langley for window shopping and a bite at Cafe Langley. Not much in this small town except arts, crafts, and antique shopping. We had lunch at the Beachfire Grill on Harbor Hills Drive near Freeland. In the afternoon, we hiked the Wilbert Trail (.8 of a mile) across Snugglers Cove road. We left the island after four days by ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo for about $8.50.
The campground was generally quiet in the evenings. The restroom only has one shower for the loop. I showered around 8 am every morning without waiting. The Park Host sells fire wood until about dinner time and has brochures and guides available. Restrooms were generally clean.
- Pros:South Whidbey and Beachfire Grill were great.
- Cons:Did not bring enough warm clothes (fleece) during May.
- In a nutshell:Great place to camp and explore with the whole family.
We stayed four days/3 nights over a weekend in May at South Whidbey State Park at sites 13, 15, and 17. Near the... more travel advice
We left through the south of Whidbey Island by ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo. For a car and two passengers, it cost us... more travel advice
sinjabc's Related Pages
Whidbey Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whidbey Island, Washington State"
- "WHIDBEY ISLAND"
- "An island getaway!"
- "Whidbey Island Road Trip"
- "Whidbey Island, May 2006"
- "Whidbey Island"
- "Whidbey Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whidbey Island
- Hotels in Whidbey Island
- Transportation in Whidbey Island
- Restaurants in Whidbey Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Whidbey Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whidbey Island
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Whidbey Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whidbey Island
Top 10 Pages
- Liverpool Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos
- York Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Perth 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Sydney 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Utrecht Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Japan Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- The Hague Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
No friends yet.