"Mellieha" Top 5 Page for this destination Mellieha by SandiMandi
Mellieha Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 297 photos
Mellieha is a small town of approx. 7000 inhabitants in the Northwestern part of Malta and it's one of the island's most picturesque tourist destinations. There's not much to see in Mellieha, but you'll experience the real Maltese life and see how the locals live there. It's a quiet village so if you're looking for nightlife, then Mellieha is not the place for you. Up at the village there are the little tradiotional shops and supermarkets that the locals use. In the centre there are also a few hotels, some restaurants, post office and banks.
Mellieha was founded in the 15th century, but was soon abandoned because of the continuous attacks by the pirates. It was populated again in the mid 19th century and the streets and most of the buildings are from that era.
Mellieha has a majestic baroque church as seen in the pic, which was built in late 19th century. The church is a good landmark as it's built on the edge of Mellieha Ridge and thus can be seen from all over the Mellieha bay. It's definitely worth climbing up to the church, the view from up there is spectacular!
The village is situated on a steep hill, the main road leading down to Mellieha Bay where you'll find one of the best sandy beaches in Malta. The beach is very shallow, so it's perfect for children. There are a couple of shops on the way to the beach that sell souvenirs , beach towels and toys etc. There's also several restaurants along the road.
Mellieha is located about 30 km north of the capital Valletta and there's good bus connections from Valletta and Sliema (pls see my transportation tip for details).
- Pros:Beautiful beaches, quiet and relaxed destination
- Cons:Traffic, narrow roads
- In a nutshell:Good base for exploring the Maltese islands
Built in 1647 and standing on Marfa Ridge the red tower used to be a lookout post for the Maltese knights. We tried to... more travel advice
Sweethaven Village or Popeye Village as it's also known is a film set of the 1980 Hollywood musical “Popeye”, starring... more travel advice
SandiMandi's Related Pages
Mellieha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madonna tal-Mellieha"
- "Home for a week"
- "Quieter than most................"
- "Mellieha, Malta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mellieha
- Hotels in Mellieha
- Transportation in Mellieha
- Nightlife in Mellieha
- Restaurants in Mellieha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mellieha
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mellieha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mellieha
Photos in MelliehaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 30 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Corfu Island Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mellieha Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Vienna Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuusankoski Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Kutna Hora Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue