"Barranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon)" Parque Natural Barranca del Cobre by LadyXoc

Sierra Madre Express

This is a first class train journey through the Copper Canyon in Mexico. It is the train on PBS's Great Train Journeys. The Copper Canyon is bigger than America's Grand Canyon. This is the home of the Tarahumara Indians. They call themselves the Rarmuri (runners) and are known to be superb long distance athletes.

The Train

Our trip was about a week long and our accomodations were both overnight on the train and two stops at other forms of lodging. One was at the hotel Posado Mirrador which hangs on the cliffs. And the other was in a remote area in an old hacienda.
This is the train as it winds thru one of over 100s tunnels.

The Hacienda

Posada del Hidalgo in El Fuerte. The Hacienda I stayed in. I liked this a lot for the cultural experience. We visited a school for girls that was more of asanctuary for them. Not enough food at home or... Anyway they shyly lined up and sang in the courtyard of the school for us and in return we sang for them too. "Row row row your boat..." They enjoyed that. We probably sounded both horrible and funny.

• In a nutshell:The 8th Wonder of the world.
  • Last visit to Parque Natural Barranca del Cobre: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2006

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I never heard of this copper canyon; I had a funny train ride in Mexico years ago. . . Did you play bagpipe in the train Melinda?

• mikarov99's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 11:15 PM

I want go here :)

LadyXoc

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.~ St Augustine”

Badges & Stats in Parque Natural Barranca del Cobre

Have you been to Parque Natural Barranca del Cobre?

Latest Activity in Parque Natural Barranca del Cobre