"Dipnetting in Chitina" Chitina by LadyXoc

Chitina Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 53 photos

Dipnetting

My friend lives in the White Range. I was spending two weeks with her and while there the Copper River Red salmon were running. She gathers as much of her own food as she can so off we went to Chitina. Pronounced 'Chit-na'
We spent the night in a tent in the parking lot at O'Brien Creek. We were up at 4am to get in line for the charter. Only one company is allowed to ferry people to rocky points to dipnet. We were dropped 'near a good spot'. Ok -near is not AT a good spot. I was able to untie myself from the cliffs and boulder over to a spot nearby. I watched three men doing fairly well so when the charter came back we hauled our stuff to the now vacant spot (Foggy Cove) and did better. The charters last pick up is at 6pm so Heidi decided that we 3 girls would stay the night and catch more. The charter is $100 a person so you can see why she would be reluctant to leave. at 8pm we coshed one of the salmon on the head and cooked it right there. By 9:30 pm it was too dangerous to continue. I slipped and fell but thankfully I was tied at the waist so I did not fall in the Copper River. (often fatal). Up we scrambled to a flat spot. I had grabbed my sleeping bag, a pad, and an emegency blanket so we three girls tried to sleep under the plastic blanket. By 2 am we were freezing (37 degrees farenheit or 2.7 degrees celcius) The rain limited our ability to start a fire so I sacraficed pages of my mystery novel and unwritten journal pages for fire and warmth. At 6am the carter returned and we and our 22 salmon headed back to Fairbanks. We spent the next two days canning 53 pints of salmon. Heidi coshed her arm really bad trying to stun a salmon. I managed not to hurt myself much while dipnetting but really bruised my leg later falling in a hot tub....naked.....groan.

• Last visit to Chitina: Jul 2008
  • Intro Written Sep 14, 2008

Comments

LadyXoc

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.~ St Augustine”

Badges & Stats in Chitina

Have you been to Chitina?

Latest Activity in Chitina