"Hosteling in Letterfrack" Letterfrack by LadyXoc

Letterfrack Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 259 photos

The Hostel

Built by a Quaker family in 1840 and then used for 100 years as a monestary. The accomodations were very inexpensive and I enjoyed the dorm-like atmosphere. The free breakfast provided in the morning was very healthy. Here is a picture of the room I slept in. Private rooms are also available. The monestary sleeps 50 and I do believe I saw a tent or two out back. Vanessa and I seemed to be the only Americans. There were many German and Swiss visitors during our stay.
It seems from other travel reviews I have read some people thought the hostel less than spotlessly clean. I camp a lot and live with three teenagers. I did not see anything offensive.
If your travel budget or your desire to be adventurous finds you wanting to stay somewhere other than a hotel or B&B then try the Old Monestary Hostel.
The peat fire heating the bathroom did wonders to dry my hiking shoes:)
website http://www.oldmonasteryhostel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=40

The outside

This is the hostel from the outside. From Letterfrack we went to the Connemara area to see Kylemore Abby.

• Last visit to Letterfrack: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2007

• Aug 4, 2006 at 12:21 AM

A "Quacker" family? What were their names, Daisy and Donald?? :)) I'm looking forward to my trip to Ireland later this month - we are camping for part of it - this hostel looks good though! (fab Irish Sea pic on your hp btw!) Cheers, Maria

LadyXoc

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.~ St Augustine”

Badges & Stats in Letterfrack

Have you been to Letterfrack?

Latest Activity in Letterfrack